Many Maui visitors like to swing by the Maui Costco right after they get off the plane. (At the first major intersection, look for the red stripe along the building on your left at Diary Road. ) Things cost about 10% more than at other Costco’s which is not bad considering you’re on an island. Although we’ve blogged before on the advantages of shopping at Costco, here are some specific things we like to buy:
- Coffee. At the time of this posting a two pound bag of Maui Coffee Roaster beans is $16. Other brands are also available at good prices. You can grind the beans near the checkout stands. Just ask your cashier. (We also keep a grinder in our condo for those that prefer a “daily grind”.)
- Booze. The liquor seems super cheap to us, but not the wine. Places such as Long Drugs and WalMart have better wine prices and a larger selection. Beer tends to be a bit cheaper at Costco.
- Sushi and poke’! That’s right. The Maui Costco has a sushi/poke’ bar. We like the Spicey Tuna. (see photo) Hint: Buy something frozen (such as chicken) and use it to keep perishables cold til you reach your destination.
- Milk and yogurt. Cheaper at Costco, but in general, dairy products on Maui are very expensive. Think about whether you will really use the Costco sizes of these products in the tropics. You haven’t saved money if you end up throwing it away.
- Gasoline. You won’t need this when you first arrive, but if you need gas while here and you’re going to be anywhere near Costco, it’s a whopping forty to ninety! cents less per gallon.
- Juice and water. Hawaii has a five cent container deposit, so buy a few large containers, not a bunch of little ones. (Note: Maui’s water comes from the mountains and we find the water at our condo quite good. We do not buy bottled water and provide refillable water bottles at the condo.)
- Fresh fish/meats/ lunch meats/cheeses…all a good deal.
- Pre-cooked pulled pork in the deli section. Just heat and serve. We like to make a bunch of cole-slaw and dress it with bar b q sauce on a hamburger roll. It’s Hawaiian!
- Bread/hamburger rolls/bagels. Much cheaper and very useful if your condo has a gas grill (like ours.)
- Chips and salsa!
- Pineapples! Maui pineapples are $3. Sliced and grilled is wonderful.
Like our list? Feel free to print it and take it with you to Costco. If there is there is something you’ve bought at the Maui Costco you think we should add to the list, please comment below.